Friday, March 6, 2009

Because I love

I think Dad knew a secret. In fact, I think Grandma knew the secret too.

God is love.

Wait...how can it be a secret if it's written in one of the most widely read books in the world?

But I still believe it is a secret.

I think the majority of people who read that sentence get stuck on another level of so-called spirituality. In my experience, most people who call themselves religious in a Christian sense are constantly basing their "spirituality" on fear. Their fear is serious, and their fear is real, but it is not healthy. And it is not spiritual. Most of the religious people I know are afraid for their souls. This is unfortunate, but it is even more unfortunate that they are also afraid for their loved-ones' souls.

Is a spirituality that is based on fear a spirituality? Let me take this one step further, and question morality. How many people believe morality comes from a person's religious faith or upbringing? My question becomes here, then, how strong and valid is a morality that is based on fear?

I'm writing this post because my faith is sometimes questioned by those around me who are worried for me. I appreciate that they care, but I need them to please think about what they are afraid of.

Let it be known, henceforward, what I believe: I love humanity. I love the world. I love beauty and life and tolerance. I want the best for everyone I know and everyone I don't know. I wish for utopia in the world.

These facts guide my morality, and they emanate from me wrapped in a deep-seated certainty that I will not go to Hell.

I dialogue regularly with my conscience, and I speak to the higher power that may be male, female, yin and yang, genderless, timeless, or simply energy potential.

Please don't expect me to be Christian. Or to be Buddhist, or Muslim or any other particular faith.

Above all, please don't fear for my soul.

I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment