Thursday, March 19, 2009

Power Issues

"The problem for us is that Italian women these days have too much power; they are exactly like men."

I guess Dad would have appreciated this man's sentiments. If Italian women are just like men,
then what can Italian men possibly do to or for them? What if American women already experienced the "just like men" phase of our development, and this new generation needs to learn to be women in a new way?

In small-town Wisconsin elementary school, I thought boys and girls were taught with equality. I never felt the boys were given special opportunities, nor were the girls taught anything different, except of course the famous sex education portion of fifth grade. I honestly do feel just as powerful as the men; and if I ever feel disempowered, I have a strong desire to regain my personal power. But what are we really struggling for?

If women start from the basic belief that we already have as much power as men, maybe that is what will set our generation apart. I no longer have to "fight" to keep my power, as perhaps women in newly liberated countries like Italy, or like the U.S. during my father's youth. However, if my personal strength is questioned or threatened, you can believe I am going to fight to keep it.

This is perhaps a slight difference, but what it means is that the men we encounter who already know about and respect our power will be the men with whom we will be able to reach a new and deeper emotional relationship. Women like me must interview carefully prospective candidates to be sure they will not doubt our power, but will also not feel threatened by it.

If we accidentally connect with a man who has not evolved with us, the ensuing conflict will appear unfortunately familiar to the women of my mother's generation who watch on with trepidation.

No comments:

Post a Comment