Monday, March 2, 2009

The Gift of Conversation

It occurred to me today that engaging in conversation with another person is a gift you give to her or him. I only realized it as I feel the singular sensation of no one talking to me.

In some way as I reflect on this, memories from elementary school seep into my consciousness. It was a lonely time, when I was the "new girl" over and over again, and rarely had enough time to make friends before my family moved again. During the passing years I've often remembered those years with a sort of fondness, believing they had taught me how to quickly and easily break the ice with new people I meet.

What happens, however, when there really seem to be no chances given by fate to meet people?
I'm in limbo, six weeks in a different country, with few contacts, no job, no school, and no social relationship opportunities. If I were a tourist, which I have frequently been, I could approach other tourists and engage in touristy conversation.

Here, however, the touristy locations were fun for the first two weeks.

Now I'm in conversation limbo.

And the people enjoying each other's speech on the metro are my one and only envy right now.

Life is good, but I look forward to the next gift of conversation someone offers me.

No comments:

Post a Comment